Friday, March 18, 2005

Spring is here!

It is sunny and warm here today (about 17 degrees according to the weatherman) - the first time we've seen the sun all week. What is it about seeing the sun that makes me think about planting seeds? Anyway, I've been busy planting lots of herb seeds - I've wanted to have a medicinal herb garden for years and at half term I got round to sowing the first lot - calendula (pot marigold), basil, chervil, ribwort plantain, angelica (not doing very well, this one) betony and woad. The woad is an experiment - you can get blue dye from it, so I'll have fun if any of the plants actually survive the slugs. That's why I'm growing them all in pots. I've found that if I don't get them to a good size before I plant them out, the slugs just hoover them all up before they have a chance.

Today I planted yarrow, dill, lemon balm, sweet clover melilot (these seeds smell nice!), fennel, mallow and mullein. Apparently the latter is very good for sinusitis - something I get an awful lot.

I'll post photos of their progress now and then. The calendula is doing the best so far - nearly ready to be planted out.

1 Comments:

At 3/19/2005 09:37:00 pm, Blogger Melody Johnson said...

Liz thanks for leaving a comment on my painting blog today. Of course I have the book Celebrate your creative self, which stimulated me back in 2002 when I first got it.
I shall post some of those paintings later this week. Back to painting today's work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home