Friday, September 09, 2005


I haven't had many photos on my blog so until I get going again with my sewing now that the kids are back in school, I thought I'd post photos of the sea design board which I did for City & Guilds. I spent today clearing up and altering a couple of skirts which have been sitting there for months waiting their turn so hopefully with things a bit tidier the creative juices will flow again... Anyway, we made these coral/seaweed effects by monoprinting with acrylic paints. This was achieved by taking two sheets of glass, smearing sea-colours of paints on one of them (green, blue, white etc), placing the other one on top of the other and then pulling them apart. This causes the paint to make patterns like this which can then be monoprinted on to paper by pressing the paper into the paint. You can get a couple of pieces of paper prints from each piece of glass but you have to do it quickly before the acrylic dries. You can probably do it on fabric too - must try this sometime!

2 Comments:

At 9/10/2005 01:30:00 am, Blogger Visual-Voice said...

Verrrry cool!

 
At 9/11/2005 12:43:00 pm, Blogger Lisa said...

This is so cool, Liz. I've never done monoprinting. The idea is do make a cool shape on a piece of glass (does it have to be glass or could it be anything smooth?), smoosh it to another piece of glass, then pull them apart and lay some fabric on it and press? Would you have to use a certain kind of paint for fabric? Thick paint or thin? I want to try this! When can you come over for a playday?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home