Wednesday, November 02, 2005

January Journal Quilt


This is January. This is what I wrote in my statement for Houston:

January
I saw the single wisteria pod hanging on the bare branch. Highlighted isolation/loneliness which was an issue for me. Painted on habutai silk using gutta and backed it with green/orange fabric for stability. This worked well, echoing the colours of the borders and binding. I liked this page - uncluttered and simple design.


I actually started the February journal before this one but finished this first and thought it was a logical one to start with as it was a representational image.

2 Comments:

At 11/03/2005 02:35:00 pm, Blogger jenclair said...

Mary put her verbal finger on it - "starkly beautiful." My first thoughts were of Macliesh's line: "For all the history of grief an empty doorway and a maple leaf."

Lines from "Ars Poetica" have been drifting in my mind lately - those of the moon leaving the "night entangled trees" were in my mind when I made the winter trees quilt.

Love this journal quilt and your statement.

 
At 11/04/2005 09:58:00 am, Blogger Frances said...

I love all the first three journals and reading your notes, I had to do a lot of paring down too,
this January quilt is my favourite of these first three, I like solitude,
thanks for sharing,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home