Sunday, October 23, 2005

The Book Lists

I was inspired by Deb's post at her blog Red Shoe Ramblings to compile my own list of favourite books. I noticed that most of the books on The Complete List | TIME Magazine - ALL-TIME 100 Novels that I HAD read were ones which I had studied at school and not read voluntarily. Lord of the Rings was the only exception and that took me 2 years to plough through! I do like reading Evelyn Waugh, though, especially Brideshead!

I don't know about everyone else, but when I discover an author that I like, I have to read everything they have written if I can get my hands on it so this list will mostly consist of authors rather than individual books. And be heavily weighted to my love of children's books.

So here we go.

Antonia Forest - all of them.
Elinor M Brent Dyer - author of The Chalet School series.
Cynthia Voigt - Homecoming especially.
Madeleine L'Engle
Jane Austen - Persuasion used to be my favourite but since seeing the BBC series, Pride and Prejudice has taken its place.
Charlotte Bronte.
Neville Shute - A Town like Alice, On the Beach
Daphne du Maurier - especially The House on the Strand
All the Harry Potter books.
Diana Wynne Jones (she wrote Howl's Moving Castle which has recently been released as an animated film).
Malcolm Saville
Arthur Ransome
P G Wodehouse
Josephine Tey

My ISP has been playing up all weekend - emails keep going on and off... it's driving me mad!

3 Comments:

At 10/24/2005 12:54:00 am, Blogger Debra said...

Liz,

Thre is a new Pride coming out as a movie. Mr. Darcy is the guy who starred in the Granada TV show MI-5... a more brooding Darcy??

And, since you too love Neville Shute, have you read Trustee From the Toolroom? I think it's my favorite. I like even better than the The Inheritance (renamed after the Masterpiece Theater piece to A Town Like Alice.).

 
At 10/24/2005 03:26:00 am, Blogger Deb R said...

I recently bought something by Diana Wynn Jones (can't remember which one) but it's still in my "to be read" pile.

If I'd gone back and included novels older than 100 years, I'd have been trying to decide between "Pride and Prejudice" and "Emma" for my favorite Austen story. I guess I could've included them both! :-)

 
At 10/24/2005 07:37:00 am, Blogger Val said...

Like your list of authors Liz. I tend to read everything by authors I like too. And you took me back to my childhood with mention of Malcolm Saville and Arthur Ransome. I also used to like the Noel Streatfield books. And Trustee from the Toolroom is a great book!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home