Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Glued to the Box

I've been watching TV a bit more the last two days. One reason is that WONDERFUL Eleanor Dugan sent me two videos full of episodes of Simply Quilts after I bewailed the lack of quilting programmes here in the UK on the Quiltart list. So now I'm wallowing in Pokey's ATCs, Ricky Tims caveman quilting and can put a face to Joen Wolfrom now. But best of all I know what you're all talking about!!! And even the adverts are interesting, coming as they do from another country, another culture...

The second is a new series on BBC2 called Art School where certain celebrities go to the Chelsea School of Art & Design for a couple of weeks and are taught art and have to end up producing a work of art for an exhibition at the end of it (at least I think there's just one...). I've learnt one new technique so far which I want to try, anyway... making a copy of a drawing or photocopy by using a monoprint... They rolled ink (thickish ink I think) on to glass and laid a piece of paper over it and the drawing or photocopy on top of that and drew over the lines of the drawing on to the paper which was on the ink (sorry, that was a very convoluted sentence...). They got a good effect from that. I'll have a go both on paper and fabric and post any results I get. Feel free to remind me if no photos are forthcoming over the coming weeks....

3 Comments:

At 9/15/2005 12:59:00 am, Blogger Debra said...

oooo... with the popularity of Hells Kitchen and Shall We Dance... this past summer hopefully the Art School thing will come to the US!!

 
At 9/15/2005 01:49:00 pm, Blogger jenclair said...

Can't get email to work, so I'm using the comments section to thank you for the lovely postcard! Arrived yesterday, adding a bright touch to a nice day. jen m. Bayou Quilts (to distinquish from other Jen in swap) ;)

 
At 9/19/2005 04:57:00 pm, Blogger Frances said...

Liz the drawing on the back of fabric mono printing was one of the things I did in Liza's play week way back in the summer,

you can use the thicker fabric paints too, also after you do your drawing and remove the fabric, place another piece on the remaining ink/paint and burnish the back of it, you get the mono print 'ghost'

instead of drawing you can lay a stencil or lace or something with texture and burnish it, the pattern comes out on your fabric, I love fabric as it takes more pattern than paper being more pliable,

have lots of fun and please post results,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home