Wednesday, March 02, 2005


I have been making journal quilts for the last couple of days but I can't post any pictures because it is part of the rules because they want them to be fresh in the public's mind. Or something like that. So here is a photo of a lapquilt which I made as my final quilt in my course. At least, I made it as a lapquilt but it took so much work that I doubt I'll ever use it as anything but a wallhanging.

It is called Hidden Life and was inspired by a TV programme about crocodiles which someone had found living in the Sahara Desert, who came out and mated during the rainy season and lived in holes and caves the rest of the time. They DNA tested them and found that they were descendents of the crocodiles which the ancient Egyptians worshipped (and bred for worship). Fascinating. Anyway, I based my design work on a photo of the desert on the front cover of Inside Sahara by Michael Palin and you probably can't see them but there are little crocodiles quilted in parts of the quilt, and also I've stencilled some on the back.

3 Comments:

At 3/03/2005 12:34:00 pm, Blogger Karoda said...

That is a very nice piece...the 3 corner blocks w/ similiar techniques looks quite difficult to sew.

 
At 3/04/2005 01:46:00 am, Blogger arlee said...

I really like the feeling of depth and space you've created with the darker areas--feels like one could crawl in!

 
At 3/04/2005 09:27:00 pm, Blogger Liz Plummer said...

They were more difficult to plan than to actually sew - I did them with foundation piecing so I had to work out the right order to sew them in. And they took AGES!

Thank you for commenting - it's nice to get some feedback. The C&G verifier didn't say anything specific. I'd not thought about the darker areas, Arlee. That ties in with my thoughts at the moment - I'm thinking cocoons and hibernation with this chilly weather! A desert feels quite inviting...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home